Will robins reuse this nest?

Does a robin use the same nest over again? I have a nest in the corner of my carport and have had three clutches this year. The second not being successful. Somehow the nest fell and splattered the eggs on the concrete below. I was heartbroken, my husband secured the nest with a wire and this one is not going anywhere. But, I just wondered if the same mama would use the nest more than once.  Thank you,  Jackie

To follow this topic, click here.

3 thoughts on “Will robins reuse this nest?”

1. puffin     Hi Jackie, thanks for writing. Some birds only use a nest once, but American robins (Turdus migratorius) will reuse nests. Here’s what Birds of North America says about robin nest reuse “Once constructed, nest is not maintained and may be destroyed by wind and rain. Old nests may be reused with or without a new lining (Howell 1942); a new nest may be built on top of an old one on a man-made structure, but more commonly a new nest is constructed for each brood.” That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same bird using that nest in your carport, but I would bet that it is. Tom
  2. I just discovered that I have a nest on my back porch with three little birds in it I was getting ready to knock it down but three little heads picked up what do I do with the nest I don’t want it on my deck says:

I just discovered that I have a nest on my back porch with three little birds in it I was getting ready to knock it down but three little heads picked up what do I do with the nest I don’t want it on my deck

3. Hi, first I have to tell you that it would technically be against the law for you to knock down a nest with baby birds in it, unless they are starlings or house sparrows or some other introduced bird. In fact, you’re not supposed to touch it or bother it. However, if you decided you wanted to try and move it, the trick is to move it only a foot or two at a time and wait for the parents to find it, and then move it a little more. Tom