Why is a Robin Hovering Around a Cardinal’s Nest?

The Question: We have a bird nest in our backyard that was made by a cardinal. Recently, we noticed that a robin seems to be hovering around the cardinals’ nest. The cardinals seem upset by this, and seem to work as a team to keep the robin at bay. Can you explain what is going on?

Submitted by: Laura R.

The Short Answer: Laura, most likely the robin is waiting for the cardinals to make a mistake so it can raid their nest, either to steal nesting materials, or more likely, to steal eggs or baby cardinals. Birds are constantly looking for opportunities to raid nests. It’s a hard fact of life that eggs and baby birds are a much sought-after treat. I’ve seen sparrows chase blue jays, blue jays chase crows, and crows chase hawks. Everyone’s babies are at risk. To make matters even worse for baby birds, squirrels also often raid nests.

Parent birds must be ever vigilant.

For an update to this story, go to this post:  Will Robins and Cardinals Share a Nest?

Cite this article as: Pelletier, TC. (May 12, 2010). Why is a Robin Hovering Around a Cardinal’s Nest? Retrieved from http://askanaturalist.com/why-is-a-robin-hovering-around-a-cardinal%e2%80%99s-nest/ on December 17, 2017.

12 thoughts on “Why is a Robin Hovering Around a Cardinal’s Nest?”

1. that is a not a very accurate answer
    Robins are not generally known for “treating” on young birds, this is an act mostly reserved for rodents and prey birds such as hawks. Blue Jays and starlings are bullies and will steal a nest generally ejecting eggs that have already been laid. It is rare and there is very little literature about it but do a little research on nest sharing, I have a Robin’s nest with 2 young and one Robin egg (until all the feathers come in I cannot be sure who the young belong to) It is always the Robin I see on the nest during the day, but the Cardinal Male brings food to the nest. The female Cardinal and Male Robin are also about frequently, but are more skittish and I cannot yet determine their roles.

2. Jessy has a point. And you can find more about this at the link I added to the end of the article above.

3. My Labrador scared 3 baby robins out of their nest. They ran in 3 different directions. One went into my husband’s garage. We found it the following day and returned it to its nest. Surprisingly,the mother returned with a male cardinal. I’m waiting to see if the baby is still there tomorrow.

4. A cardinal couple just hatched 1 baby 3 days ago,one egg not hatched outside my window in a tall,bushy small tree size woody weed. I left for one afternoon,when back noticed no birds,nest totally empty,not even lining or one feather or eggshells,nothing to give a clue in or around nest.What or who raided the nest.??

5. Right now, things like crows, bluejays, hawks and squirrels are all actively raiding the nests of other birds to steal chicks. Any of those could have raided a cardinal nest. As for the cleanliness of the nest, parents often clean the nest of eggshells. If all the eggs had hatched, the parents might have cleaned up eggshells already, so when someone stole the chicks, there would be nothing left. Or someone might have stolen hatched chicks and unhatched eggs whole, in which case there also would be no evidence.

6. I just witnessed the raiding of a nest. I saw a crow land on my neighbors roof with something in his mouth (probably an egg) and soon two other birds began to chase him away. So, I went around the corner of my house just in time to see a Robin with a blue egg in his mouth fly from a tree. When I went to the tree, I found a beautiful little nest completely empty.

7. This last day or so I’ve noticed a robin hanging around a lot and the sparrows are going crazy and chasing the robin out of the immediate area of their nest the robin keeps returning and trying to stay up by nest. The sparrows do the whole thing over again to chase him away. Before we noticed all of that we had found several eggs in driving a good length away from nest. The eggs were no good they had been cracked open with partially developed birds inside.

8. I watched a pair of cardinals build a nest which has been taken over by robins in the last few days. The female cardinal however still sits on the nest from time to time. What goes? Not sure if there are eggs at all inside the nest, or if there are, who they belong to.

9. Hi Michael. That’s an interesting situation you are describing. It could be that the female cardinal is simply “confused.” Animal behavior is not always rational (as with human behavior!). It could be that the triggers that lead a female cardinal to sit on a nest are all still there. In other words, “I built a nest. I mated with a male cardinal. I laid some eggs. Therefore, I should sit on those eggs till they hatch.” I’m not saying the cardinal thinks that, of course. I’m just saying that the behavior works that way, the same way a person is “programmed” to respond when a baby cries. Female birds don’t always know the difference between their eggs and someone else’s, as evidenced by the fact that cuckoos and cowbirds can get other birds to care for their eggs by simply laying them in other birds’ nests. My guess is the female cardinal will eventually figure out that it’s not her nest anymore, but it might take a while.

10. I watched the robins destroy not one but two flycatcher nests this season. In the case of the second nest the flycatcher had already laid 5 eggs and the robin tossed them out and tore apart the nest only to then build up the nest to her satisfaction whereupon she now sits on 4 of her eggs. Meanwhile the flycatcher returned to and rebuilt her original nest where she now awaits the hatching of her eggs.

11. I have a couple of Cardinals in my yard and it looks as if they’re looking for a place to build a nest. I also have a lot of blue jays in my yard. I’ve looked all over the internet and cannot find the answer to my question anywhere… which is do I have to worry about the Blue Jays going after the Cardinals eggs or babies? I know Blue Jays are aggressive and I know that they are known to eat eggs and babies and I’m worried about this.