hornedpuffin

When prey becomes predator

A while back I wrote something on whether a lion could kill a moose and I pointed out in that article that sometimes prey turn the tables on predators.  I just read something this morning that takes that one further.  This is not for the faint of heart — or for frog lovers — but there are beetles whose larvae lure frogs into trying to eat them.  The ferocious beetle larvae not only don’t get eaten, they kill and eat the frog!

I suppose we shouldn’t feel too badly for the frog since it was, of course, intent on eating the seemingly defenseless beetle larvae, but we tend to empathize with fellow vertebrates before other creatures, so watching the beetle larvae win the battle is unnerving.

Anyway, if you want to see something amazing and aren’t too partial to frogs, check this out:
blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/09/21/beetle-larva-lures-and-kills-frogs-while-the-adult-hunts-and-paralyses-them/

Share:
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • RSS
  • del.icio.us
  • Reddit
Print Friendly Print Friendly

2 Responses

1. Ask a Naturalist.com » What kind of frog is this and what are the red bumps? Says:

[…] [It's a tough time for frogs on AskaNaturalist.com.  I just posted something yesterday about beetle larvae that kill and eat frogs!] […]

2. Jasmine Says:

I’ve encountered a female moose and all I thought was how clumsy this overly large creature was. However, I think I might pee my pants if I was that close to a male moose. My husband and I have been debating an adult male moose vs a polar bear. Of course Grizzly Bears have been known to take the female and calf Moose, but what about an adult male moose?