What is this bird with a long white tail?

This site is supported by donations. If you find the information helpful or interesting, please click here to make a small contribution (credit card or PayPal). Thank you!

The Question: A seabird showed up every day to circle our sailboat 200-300 miles northeast of the Bahamas. One day there were 3 of them, but most days there was just one. It looked ‘gull-like’ and was very white with striking black trim around the trailing edge of his wing feathers. The tail is long and string-like in appearance (versus a fan of feathers). What bird is this?

Submitted by: Ed, NC

The Short Answer: Ed, your photos and description are perfect for a tropicbird. The long trailing tail is a giveaway. From your photo and the locality, I would guess that what you saw is a White-tailed Tropicbird (Phaethon lepturus), the smallest of the world’s three tropicbirds, with a wingspan of about three feet (94 cm). The other possibility would be the Red-billed Tropicbird (Phaethon aethereus), which is a bit larger, with a wingspan of 44 inches (112 cm). The Red-billed Tropicbird flies with shallow wingbeats and even at some height, the red bill is fairly visible. So unless you saw either of those clues, I feel pretty comfortable identifying your birds as White-tailed Tropicbirds.

More Info: The White-tailed Tropicbird spends most of its life flying over the ocean, eating fish and squid off the surface. Their best trick is catching flying fish on the wing … or on the fin, to be more accurate. The White-tailed Tropicbird is found throughout the tropical oceans of the world.

Please click here to support this site with a small contribution by credit card or PayPal to help me answer more questions. Even $0.75 helps. Thanks!

Cite this article as: Pelletier, TC. (July 28, 2010). What is this bird with a long white tail? Retrieved from http://askanaturalist.com/what-is-this-bird-with-a-long-white-tail/ on August 23, 2017.